Sunday 11 January 2015

Corner Brook's New All-Day Breakfast + Lunch at The Best Coast Cafe

This marks my third (and last) of a set of posts from my trip back to my hometown of Corner Brook, NL for the holidays (see my other posts here and here).  It was nice to revisit some old favourites and some new spots, including Best Coast Cafe.


This cute little breakfast/lunch spot has recently opened up its doors in the space previously occupied by the Broadway Cafe.  It is pretty much as basic as you can get in terms of decor but has a very cozy feel that makes you feel right at home.  Service pretty much follows suit- very casual and friendly.

While you can find the same ultra-friendly vibe in almost any place in town, it is the food that really sets Best Coast Cafe apart.  They offer a mix of traditional Newfoundland items and more modern fare like fish tacos with panko-crusted fish and eggs bennie.  I also noted a decent number of vegetarian items which is rare for this neck of the woods.  They offer all-day breakfast and a lunch menu (hours are 9-4) and also have a daily board with a pasta, salad, and soup often posted on their Facebook page (see here).  And don't forget to ask about their homemade desserts!



Hubby and I visited at noon with our good friends, and enjoyed some pretty tasty food:

I chose the Soup and Salad from the daily board.  While the salad was pretty average (just spinach, tomato and onion with balsamic), the Tomato and Basil Soup was superb (one of the best tomato soups I have had!).  It was very fresh and light, with just the perfect amount of basil.  Overtop was a generous heap of feta which really knocked it out of the park when it was mixed in.  I really had no idea a tomato soup could be this good!


Hubby and one of our friends enjoyed the Turkey Panini from the lunch menu.  It was made on super fresh, homemade bread and had a myriad of toppings including cheddar, bacon, arugula and a tasty garlic aioli.



Our other friend opted for the all-day breakfast and ordered the Breakfast Sandwich, made with a fried egg, peameal bacon, avocado, aged cheddar and garlic aioli.  The side of potatoes were especially good, with a mix of white and sweet potatoes.  Fortunately, she left some room for their daily dessert, a Bailey's Creme Brûlée.  It was full of boozy flavour (true to its name!) and a great Xmas treat.


I am really rooting for this new little Corner Brook cafe and really hope they do well.  The Newfoundland spirit shines through in their friendly service and atmosphere, but it was their food that really caught my attention.   They are keeping things relatively simple, but taking things a bit farther by adding some new flavours to add some pizzazz.

There is no doubt- I can't wait  on my next trip home!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting such a great article! I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. Keep up the good work
    all day breakfast

    ReplyDelete